Death toll from earthquake in Cianjur district, West Java province, included those who died due to broken bones and exposed skins. The BNPB (Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency) continues to search for missing people.
Jakarta (Indonesia Window) – The death toll from the Cianjur earthquake rose to 268, as many as 122 of them have been identified, and 151 people are still reported missing, Acting Head of BNPB’s Data and Information Center, Abdul Muhari, said in Cianjur on Tuesday.
Death toll from earthquake in Cianjur district, West Java province, included those who died due to broken bones and exposed skins. The BNPB (Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency) continues to search for missing people, Muhari said.
“We are trying to use the golden time for three by 24 hours for the search and rescue process,” Muhari said, adding that as of 5 pm local time on Monday, 1,083 people are suffering injuries.
According to Muhari, the types of injuries were broken bones and exposed skins due to falling debris, and therefore the Cianjur district administration required additional paramedics, especially orthopedists for emergency operations.
Regarding the estimated period of searching missing people, Muhari explained, in general his party would first optimize the use of the golden time (three by 24 hours), and when there are reports of victims who have not been found, the search time would be extended to seven by 24 hours.
Muhari also pointed out that the total number of houses damaged by the earthquake was 22,198 as of 5 pm local time, while the data show that there are 58,362 evacuees in more than 14 evacuation points.
Previously, Indonesian President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) closely observed the location affected by the earthquake in Cugenang sub district, Cianjur district, West Java province, and expressed his condolences to the earthquake victims on Tuesday.
The first location the president visited was the Cibeureum highway, connecting the Bogor-Cianjur area in Cugenang sub district, which was buried by a landslide but is now passable by vehicles.
On behalf of himself and the government, the head of state offered his condolences to the victims of the earthquake that hit Cianjur district on Monday (21/11).
“I express my deep condolences for the earthquake in Cianjur district, West Java province,” the president said.
The president emphasized that he has instructed his staff to cooperate in assisting in handling the aftermath of the earthquake that occurred in Cianjur district.
The presidential instruction includes opening access for those affected by landslides, evacuating and rescuing victims who are still buried under landslides.
In addition, the president also ensured that the government would provide assistance to residents whose homes were affected by the earthquake.
The assistance consisted of 50 million rupiahs for each house with heavy damage, 25 million rupiahs for each house with moderate damage, and 10 million rupiahs for a house with light damage.
According to the president, the most important thing is that the construction of houses affected by the earthquake must comply with earthquake-resistant building standards.
“The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency said earlier that this earthquake is the one that occurs in every 20 years, so we are directing the construction of houses for earthquake-resistant houses,” the president said.
Reporting by Indonesia Window