Jakarta (Indonesia Window) – “The Principle of One China” is a political obstacle for Taiwan to participate in the World Health Organization (WHO) in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A statement from the Taipei Economic and Trade Office (TETO) received in Jakarta on Tuesday said that the Taiwanese government regretted this and confirmed that WHO repeatedly lied to the world by saying that “Taiwan can fully participate in relevant meetings and activities.”
Not only does the open lie hinder the prevention of the COVID-19 pandemic and damage the WHO’s professional image, but also endanger the human lives, the statement said.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, Taiwan has regularly reported the development of the outbreak that has developed on Formosa Island, and actively called on WHO to be able to participate in all conferences and activities related to epidemic prevention.
The TETO statement said that Taiwan had never been invited to three New Corona Pneumonia Emergency Committee meetings held by WHO in January this year, and the Lab Network.
So far, the WHO has only allowed Taiwan experts to participate online as individuals in the WHO Global Research and Innovation Forum held on 11 and 12 February 2020.
Taiwan’s inaction with WHO has prevented Taiwan from being able to share first-line anti-epidemic experiences.
However, Taiwan routinely reports confirmed cases through the International Health Regulations (IHR) to the contact window designated by the WHO Secretariat.
However, the contact window is not handled by health experts, but only the officer responsible for sending information to the WHO technical unit.
The WHO contact window never responded to Taiwan, and in no way provided information related to epidemic prevention to Taiwan.
On the other hand, WHO has repeatedly stated that it has included Taiwan in relevant conferences and mechanisms.
Reporting by Indonesia Window