Jakarta (Indonesia Window) – Saudi Arabia has displayed Iranian drones and cruise missiles claimed to be used in attacks on Aramco facilities that took place over the weekend.
The attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran but investigations are still underway to pinpoint the exact launch location, defense ministry spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said at a news conference in Riyadh, Wednesday (Sep 18), as reported by Arabnews.
However, he added, the strikes came from north of the targets and not from Yemen, where Houthi militants claimed they had been launched from on Saturday.
According to him, the attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran,” he told a news conference. “The evidence … that you have seen in front of you, makes this undeniable,” he pointed out.
“The precision impact of the cruise missile indicates advanced capability beyond the capacity of Iran’s proxies. The targeting direction of the site indicates a north-to-south direction of travel,” Col. Al-Miliki noted.
Eighteen drones and three missiles were launched against Abqaiq, the location of the world’s largest oil-processing facility, but the missiles “fell short” of the target. A further four missiles targeted the Khurais oil field, he added.
“The Ya Ali missiles, which have a range of 700 kilometers, are known to have been used by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards,” the colonel said.
Reporting by Indonesia Window